NEC4: A Guide for Better Delivery of Projects in the Building Sector is a practical guide to the effective use of the NEC suite of contracts on building projects. Written for an international readership, the book gives an overview of the NEC4 Suite of Contracts, showing how they can be used to deliver better outcomes on building projects. It also compares the contracts with other standard forms, including JCT 2016, FIDIC and PPC2000 contracts, providing an overview of their structure, applicability, strengths and weaknesses.
Topics covered in the book include the NEC4 procurement options, approaches to risk management, programme, payment and change management, and NEC4 dispute resolution processes. Written in an accessible style, the book clearly explains the benefits of using the NEC contract and will help to dispel a common misperception of the NEC as being solely for civil engineering projects.
NEC4: A Guide for Better Delivery of Projects in the Building Sector is suitable for both experienced professionals and also early career practitioners working on building projects, including contractors, architects, and engineers; consultants and quantity surveyors, and project managers.
01. Introduction to the NEC4 suite of contracts
02. Building projects versus civil engineering projects
03. Building contracts: the JCT contracts
04. Building contracts: FIDIC and others
05. The NEC4 Engineering and Construction Contract
06. The NEC4 Engineering and Construction Short Contract
07. The NEC4 Professional Service Contract and the NEC4 Term Service Contract
08. Comparison of NEC4 and JCT contracts 1: procurement choices and Contractor’s design
09. Comparison of NEC4 and JCT contracts 2: risk management, programme management and change management
10. NEC contracts in use for building projects
11. Conclusion: a comparison of using JCT and NEC4 contracts for building projects