Civil Excavations and Tunnelling is a comprehensive guide to civil excavations at surface and subsurface levels, with or without the aid of explosives. It features descriptions of the latest methods, techniques, equipment, trends and practices, as well as guidance on safety and the environment.
Civil Excavations and Tunnelling, Second edition:
• serves as a single point of extraction of multiple data for earthworks
• comprises numerous case studies to illustrate the challenges posed by different types of soil, as well as the pros and cons of different sets of equipment
• details the recent innovations in tunnel boring machines (TBMs), including crossover, variable density and multi-mode TBMs
• includes key points and learning questions that allow readers to test their knowledge
• highlights best practices, sustainability in operations, loss-prevention strategies, and occupational health, safety and environment issues
Excavation is a multi-disciplined activity involving civil, construction and mining professionals, earth scientists and geologists. This book will appeal to practitioners, researchers and students in these disciplines.