This discounted ICE Professional Development set is comprised of three titles essential to the ICE’s Professional Review process and preparing for a fulfilling career as a civil engineer. From understanding the professional reviews process to mentoring graduate engineers to hone their skills, the books offer a full and thorough overview of the processes and the civil engineering industry more widely.
Initial Professional Development for Civil Engineers, Second edition provides a core foundation of information on skills, knowledge and understanding, on which the development of every professional civil engineer, and their preparation for professional reviews, is based. The third edition of Successful Professional Reviews for Civil Engineers offers a comprehensive guide to the constituent parts of the ICE Professional Review process, ideal for those engineers nearing the completion of their initial professional development. Finally, Mentoring for Civil Engineers is a guide to planning and implementing the training of professional civil engineers that ensures that engineers have the necessary skills, ability and commitment to the profession.
This selection of books is essential reading for engineers either undertaking the professional review process or assisting a graduate through it. The books reveal the full spectrum of the process and provide hints, tips and techniques to understanding the world of civil engineering.
Initial Professional Development for Civil Engineers, Second edition
02. What is a professional civil engineer?
03. Learning and development
04. What does the ICE require?
05. Knowledge and understanding of engineering
06. Technical and practical application of engineering
07. Management and leadership
08. Independent judgement and responsibility
09. Commercial ability
10. Health, safety and welfare
11. Sustainable development
12. Interpersonal skills and communication
13. Professional commitment
14. What next?
Successful Professional Reviews for Civil Engineers, Fourth edition
01. The role of the profession
02. The jigsaw concept for Review preparation 7
03. Career Appraisal (CA) 11
04. The complete picture 19
05. Professional engineer 25
06. The Review specification 29
07. Difference between a Member (or Associate)
08. Starting the submission 49
09. Continuing Professional Development 57
10. The Professional Review Report 63
11. Reports – common faults 69
12. Supporting documents 77
13. Putting the Professional Review submission
14. Preparing for the presentation 89
15. The Review day 95
16. The Written Exercise 105
17. The aftermath 117
18. Technical Report route (TRR) 121
Mentoring for Civil Engineers
02. Learning and development
03. The business objectives of learning and development
04. Recruiting the right people
05. How ICE qualifications support organization learning and development
06. The ICE training scheme
07. Preparing a training scheme
08. Training agreements for the ICE training scheme
09. The mechanics of ICE’s training scheme
10. What should mentors do in theory?
11. What do mentors actually do in civil engineering?
12. Trainees’ reports
13. Mentors’ responses to development reports
14. Monitoring progress
15. ICE professional review
16. The reviewers
17. Sponsors’ scrutiny of submission documents
18. Preparation for review
19. The aftermath of failure