Appraisal and Repair of Timber Structures, Second edition is a comprehensive and fully updated guide focusing on the appraisal and repair of timber structures with reference to Eurocode 5.
Written by two leading experts in the field of timber engineering, this book includes advice on construction forms from medieval times to the present day. This unique approach ensures that all the periods of timber construction are covered, with specifications, analytical advice and worked examples, all in accordance with current best practice.
Appraisal and Repair of Timber Structures, Second edition covers
- the history and development of timber structures from medieval times to the present day
- a detailed description of timber as a material, including the causes of decay, methods of investigation and assessment, and model repair details
- fully updated content, including worked examples, in the light of recent changes to the building codes
- a completely new emphasis, now aimed at the generalist structural engineer, surveyor or architect who now usually employs a timber specialist to undertake a timber condition survey
- new and updated guidance on repair materials and fasteners
- an expanded range of illustrations and case studies.
The book appeals to engineers, surveyors and architects involved in work on both historic and more modern timber structures. In addition, the sections on appraisal, load testing, building relocation and report writing are applicable to all forms of construction, not just timber. The book is of value to practitioners working on an existing building for the first time, as well as a reference book for more experienced professionals.
Preface to the second edition
02. The history of timber construction
03. Timber as a structural material
04. Timber decay – causes, prevention & treatment
05. Other possible defects
06. The client’s brief
07. The general diagnostic sequence
08. The initial visual inspection
09. Commissioning a timber survey
10. The appraisal
11. Impact on the appraisal of changes in the building codes
12. Timber repairs
13. Repair of historic buildings
14. The report
15. The repair contract
16. The specification of timber for repair
17. Moving timber frames
18. Case studies – Retain
19. Case studies – Repair
20. Case studies – Reinforce
21. Case studies – Renew
22. Case studies – Relocate